August 9, 2011

Boy's Life (quote)

Because I couldn't just leave it on one post......and because I have never had a writer indirectly describe my personality so well. I can only hope that my son feels the same way about the balance between she that worries and he that doesn't.

"Worrying was my mother's way. She fretted about the weather, the cost of groceries, the washing machine breaking down, the Tecumseh River being dirtied by the paper mill in Adams Valley, the price of new clothes, and everything under the sun. To my mother, the world was a vast quilt whose stitches were always coming undone. Her worrying somehow worked like a needle, tightening those dangerous seams. If she could imagine events through to their worst tragedy, then she seemed to have some kind of control over them. As I said, it was her way. My father could throw up a fistful of dice to make a decision, but my mother had an agony for every hour. I guess they balanced, as two people who love each other should" (Boy's Life, Robert R. McCammon)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog